I’m based in Dubai as a freelance health and travel journalist, media consultant, and content creator.
As a freelance journalist, my pieces have appeared in Travel + Leisure, The Sunday Times, Travelzoo, Shape, CNN Travel, Afar, Elite Traveler, The National, Harper’s Bazaar Arabia, The Guardian, Edgar, Bespoke, Destinations of the World News, several inflight magazines and other UK, UAE and US outlets. I’ve done radio for the BBC. My writing focuses on luxury, health and travel.
As a content creator, I share wellness tips and travels on instagram.com/danaemercer.
On a more business note, I’ve worked with the Special Olympics World Games – Saudi delegation, CondeNast Traveller Middle East, Dubai Tourism, InterContinental Hotel Group, EnVeritas, travel apps, audio guides and others to create content. I’ve done everything from writing speeches to rewriting websites to creating white papers. I specialize in media consultancy and media strategy.
If you’d like PDFs of specific pieces, examples of certain types of work, or generally just more information, please do get in touch.
BBC World Service
- Drones in Dubai (radio)
The Sunday Times and The Times
- Insider City Guides 2016 Dubai (paywall, in print as well as online)
- City Guides Dubai (text included throughout various sections)
- All that glitters (a guide to the new bar at the Burj Al Arab)
- Dubai Culture supplement (in collaboration with David Hammond): p1, p2, p3, p4
Travel and Leisure
- See another side of Dubai in this historic neighborhood (in print and online)
- How to save money and avoid crowds while travelling
- 20 destinations experts say everyone should visit
- Abu Dhabi photoshoot turns up the opulence
- A wild ride in Dubai
- Dubai’s 10 most decadent restaurants
- Dubai in the Sky
- 10 of the best spas in Abu Dhabi
- Abu Dhabi’s best spots according to Instagram stars
- Love in the desert
- Visitors guide to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Meet the athletes who overcame limb loss (print and online)
- The benefits of equine therapy (print and online, cover story)
- Cathay Pacific – A week’s road trip through Oman
- Smile – Dubai on a Shoestring
- Smile – Here we go – Alserkal Avenue in Dubai
- Digital Shorts – A Long Ride Home (with chapters then syndicated on a week-by-week basis on theguardian.com)
- After the crash: the triathlete that got back on her bike and gave back
- Mistakes that doom cycling races
- Media careers in the Middle East
Etihad Airways inflight magazine
- Work around the world – the growth of digital nomads (also a cover story)
- Out of the frying pan – raw vegan food in Phuket, Thailand
Bespoke magazine – UAE luxury
- A regular column for The Telegraph – Men section on dating and romance
- Numerous pieces on health and wellness.